This is Shannon, Queen B's old friend.
I'll jump right to the point: Queen B and her family have been on a spring break trip to Pagosa Springs, CO. The King began having severe headaches and vomiting that would not go away. They went to the ER, where they were told he had swelling in his brain from a cyst (most likely benign) . The King was air-lifted to Farmington, NM yesterday (Sunday), and a shunt was put in his brain to relieve the pressure. More surgery will be required very soon to remove or reduce the cyst--he will most likely be air-lifted back to the Arkansas/Oklahoma/Missouri area for surgery once further plans can be made.
As I write this (Monday morning), they're still in the Farmington hospital. The King is in ICU, but he's stable, and he's able to talk with B. The Princess is with them--the friends they were traveling with drove her down from Pagosa Springs so they could be together.
(I hope I've accurately reported the timing/medical aspects of all this; if not, I'll edit later in the day.)
I've spoken and texted with B a few times. Her spirits sound good, though I think she's understandably in some shock. She sounds optimistic about the King's health--brain surgery is no small thing, of course, but it sounds as though his prognosis is very good. She's operating entirely on adrenaline and no sleep, in a strange city away from the rest of her family, and she's feeling the weight of the heavy logistical decisions that need to be made in the coming days. She, The King, and The Princess are in New Mexico; their car/stuff is in Colorado; their home and friends and family are all back in Arkansas; The King may need to be transported to yet another location for surgery very soon. That's a lot to manage.
Please pray for our sweet friend every time you think of her today and in the days to come. To be specific...
- Of course, let's all pray for The King's health, that this cyst will remain stable and there won't be any unforeseen complications.
- B needs some rest, so she can think clearly through the myriad decisions in front of her. I'm praying she can find a quiet spot to sleep today, and that the rest will provide her a bit of fresh thinking.
- Pray that the logistics will fall in to place, and the right people will be in the right spot to help in the right way.
- As they decide how (and where) to proceed with the neurosurgery, pray that wise counsel will be given to them.
- Pray that The Princess will feel peace. This is a lot for a 12-year-old girl to take in.
As B and I prayed together on the phone this morning, I was struck by how powerfully God has been displaying His sovereignty in their lives these last several months. La Princessa's story is such evidence of God's faithfulness to direct circumstances in the direction they should go,whether we understand or not. God is good, all the time, and B knows this better than anyone.
I hope she'll be able to check in with comments and e-mails from the hospital; I know your words of encouragement would mean a great deal to her. I'll provide more updates here as I have them.